Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH)
Medicaid emergency medical transportation program supplemental financing has grown significantly in recent years. As states increase ambulance provider taxes and supplemental payments financed with intergovernmental transfers (IGTs) and certified public expenditures (CPEs), there is a need for increased audit work and assistance with program development and design, Medicaid financing strategies, and compliance. Many of the Medicaid emergency medical transportation programs are initiated by the industry and consultants that represent the industry’s interests. We believe it is important for states to make sure these programs are in compliance with Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requirements to avoid future recoupments and to maximize current payments. Myers and Stauffer represents only state and federal government clients and has experts in all areas of Medicaid emergency medical transportation.
Myers and Stauffer assists various state Medicaid emergency medical transportation programs with all of the following services:
- Emergency medical transportation program development.
- Audits of the emergency medical transportation program cost reports as required by CMS annually.
- Audits of the data used for ambulance taxes.
- Medicaid financing strategies and reporting including IGTs, CPEs, and provider taxes.
- Collect average commercial rate (ACR) data and calculate supplemental payments.
- Supplemental payment program set-up including writing state plans, administrative rules, and cost report development.
- Consulting on compliance for both fee-for-service and managed care Medicaid emergency medical transportation programs, including directed payment arrangements.
Audits of Emergency Medical Transportation Programs
Myers and Stauffer has been performing cost report attest work for clients since the firm’s inception. Our cost report audit team has developed cost report databases, status logs, and rate setting systems to support our clients. We also recognize that our clients want to appropriately focus their oversight dollars in areas that have the potential for the greatest impact, therefore we focus our efforts through a thorough risk assessment process. Our services include:
- Cost report and ACR data collection.
- Web-based submission and communication system design (web-based portal) for cost report and documentation.
- Cost report database management and analytics.
- Audit and attest work on cost report data.
- Allowable cost verification in accordance with state and federal definitions.
- Risk assessments to target audit work.
- Training client or provider on cost report or audit issues.
- Developing cost report tools to assist clients in gathering necessary information.